TRAVEL TO South Africa
Quick Travel Guide to South Africa
- South Africans often say "Howzit" for hello
- "Sawubona" means hello in Zulu
- Power Voltage: 230V/50hz
- Best time to go: May - August if you are going on Safari, otherwise January through March
- Currency: South African Rand or ZAR. $1 is approximately R13
- Visas: commonwealth countries are issued visas on arrival, other countries may need a visa.
- Children aged under 18 must show an unabridged birth certificate and additional paperwork needed in some cases.
SOUTH AFRICA TRAVEL TIPS
- South Africa is notorious for crime and violence. Typically this does not usually effect tourists, but be mindful of it. Do not leave you belongings in plain view, or on your car seat etc.
- Tipping is very common in South Africa. It is 10% + in restaurants and bars. You should also tip the parking guards in shopping malls or at restaurants. R5 is usually a great tip.
- Don't walk around the major cities in safari gear - you will stand out like a sore thumb as a tourist. This also makes you a more easy victim for crime.
- Ignore the scam artists at the traffic lights. They are usually trying to sell you something, and they can be relentless.
TOP EXPERIENCES IN SOUTH AFRICA
- go on safari in the Kruger National Park
- explore the city of Johannesburg
- take in the mother city, Cape Town
- understand South Africa's history with the Apartheid Museum in Johannesburg
- go to Robben Island, Cape Town, to learn more about Nelson Mandela
- go on a quick get away to the Pilanesberg National Park, a few hours drive from Johannesburg