TRAVEL TO INDIA
India is one of the most incredible, but also most overwhelming places I have ever traveled to. I feel like that everyone should visit this massive country at least once in their lives. Traveling to India is a bucket list for many travelers and tourists, and with good reason. This intense and wonderful country is a learning curve for any traveler, and a unique experience for everyone.
I traveled to India in March of 2017 on a group tour run by Contiki. I visited the cities of Delhi, Agra, Jaipur, Udaipur, Mumbai and Goa. In addition, I traveled to the Ranthambore National Park to try and see tigers in the wild.
Quick Travel Guide to India
- Hello in Hindi - 'namaste'
- Power voltage: 220-240 V; Plugs C & D
- Currency: Indian Rupee – approximately 60 rupees to 1 USD
- ATMs can be found everywhere, but as of 2017 it may be difficult to get cash while they are sorting out the money crisis
- Tipping: expected, also known as backsheesh
- Visa: Tourist E-Visa for most countries
- Safety ranking: 137 out of 163
- Climate: variety in regions, due to the vast size of India. Usually hot and tropical, except for regions to the North. Monsoons last from July to September
INDIA TRAVEL TIPS
- Only drink bottled water. Don't brush your teeth with tap water either, use bottled water. This helps avoid getting sick, particularly for weaker immune systems. Make sure you bottle cap has not been tampered with before you buy water, especially from the streets.
- Try to not give money to beggars, even children. A hoard will crowd around you, and it will only get worse.
- Confirm a price before getting into a rickshaw. If you are a westerner, they will try to rip you off. Stick to the price you agreed upon, and don't accept any other offers of tourist or sight seeing.
- If you are a light sleeper, bring ear plugs. India is noisy. At all times of the day and night!
Top things to do and see in India
- Visit the Taj Mahal - you cannot go to India and not see this world wonder!
- Go in search of Tigers in India - Ranthambore National Park is a great place to do this
- Experience Bollywood in Mumbai and explore one of India's largest cities
- Hike up the mountains and view the incredible Amer Fort in Jaipur
- Explore the Pink City of Jaipur
- Wonder through the streets and palaces of Udaipur
- Relax on the beach in Goa