TRAVEL TO South Africa
Quick Travel Guide to South Africa
- South Africans often say "Howzit" for hello
- "Sawubona" means hello in Zulu
- Power Voltage: 230V/50hz
- Best time to go: May - August if you are going on Safari, otherwise January through March
- Currency: South African Rand or ZAR. $1 is approximately R13
- Visas: commonwealth countries are issued visas on arrival, other countries may need a visa.
- Children aged under 18 must show an unabridged birth certificate and additional paperwork needed in some cases.
SOUTH AFRICA TRAVEL TIPS
- South Africa is notorious for crime and violence. Typically this does not usually effect tourists, but be mindful of it. Do not leave you belongings in plain view, or on your car seat etc.
- Tipping is very common in South Africa. It is 10% + in restaurants and bars. You should also tip the parking guards in shopping malls or at restaurants. R5 is usually a great tip.
- Don't walk around the major cities in safari gear - you will stand out like a sore thumb as a tourist. This also makes you a more easy victim for crime.
- Ignore the scam artists at the traffic lights. They are usually trying to sell you something, and they can be relentless.
TOP EXPERIENCES IN SOUTH AFRICA
- go on safari in the Kruger National Park
- explore the city of Johannesburg
- take in the mother city, Cape Town
- understand South Africa's history with the Apartheid Museum in Johannesburg
- go to Robben Island, Cape Town, to learn more about Nelson Mandela
- go on a quick get away to the Pilanesberg National Park, a few hours drive from Johannesburg
TRAVEL BLOG POSTS FROM SOUTH AFRICA
A review of my four day Intrepid Travel Kruger Park Lodge Experience. Four days spent in the wonderful Greater Kruger National Park region with Intrepid Travel and Thornhill Safari Lodge.
On safari in the Kruger National Park, South Africa
A review of Thornhill Safari Lodge in the Greater Kruger National Park, South Africa. Thornhill Safari Lodge's staff, services, rooms and activities review.
Photography of daily life on the streets of South Africa's biggest and busiest city, Johannesburg. Images of things to do and see in Johannesburg, South Africa
A review of the City Sightseeing Johannesburg-Soweto Hop on Hop off Bus Tour in South Africa. You can see all the things to do in Johannesburg, South Africa!
Our first stop on the EAT THE WORLD challenge is SOUTH AFRICA, with a South African bobotie. A recipe for the national dish of South Africa.
Biltong... It looks like cool bacon...
A how-to-guide to doing your own safari in Africa. Tips and tricks on how to have the best do-it-yourself safari adventure.
Find out where the best spots and the best driving routes are in the Pilanesberg National Park.
Where to eat in South Africa: the best fast and cheap food in South Africa from someone who knows! My guide to the best food spots in South Africa.